Winter Garlic Stew
One of my other favorite activities in the winter is cooking warm stews that simmer for hours and make the house smell amazing. Winter Garlic Stew from my Pure Food Cookbook is a staple in our house.
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 large carrots, sliced into 1⁄2-inch-thick rounds
- 5 medium red potatoes, chopped
- 1 head orange cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large pot set over low heat. Add the onion, garlic, turmeric, and cumin, and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes, broth, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.