Vegetarian Lentil Salad
A simple, delicious meal all in one salad.
- 1 head garlic
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 cups chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 package (8 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 3 cups cooked whole grains of choice (wheat berries, barley, quinoa, etc.)
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1. Peel away dry outer layers from garlic head, leaving cloves with skins intact. Cut off and discard top pointed portion of garlic head, exposing individual cloves and leaving bulb intact. Place, cut side up, in 8-ounce custard cup. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Tightly cover with foil. Bake at 425°F for 25 to 35 minutes or until cloves feel soft when pressed. Cool. Squeeze garlic out from individual cloves.
2. In small saucepan combine garlic, vinegar, water and sugar. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until reduced by half. Set aside.
3. In large skillet heat the 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper and onions. Cook and stir until tender. Stir in spinach. Heat through.
4. In large bowl combine mushroom mixture, whole grains, lentils, pesto and Italian seasoning. Stir in garlic mixture and 1/4 cup oil. Fold in feta cheese and tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours to blend flavors.
Servings: 4 to 6