- 1 &1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk mixed with 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup pitted cherries (pit cherries, then measure)
- 4 tablespoon finely chopped almonds
- Additional sugar
Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, oil and lemon zest. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix together with a wooden spoon or spatula, stirring with as few strokes as possible. Lightly fold in the chopped cherries.
Scoop the batter on to parchment lined baking sheets, making 12 scones total. Sprinkle each scone with 1 teaspoon chopped almonds and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.