Budget-Friendly Strawberry-Banana Bread Pudding
For bread pudding:
- 2 cups beaten eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 7 ounces sugar (by weight)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pound bread end slices, broken into bite-size piece
- 6 ounces strawberries. stems removed; quartered
- 1 6-ounce peeled ripe banana, 1/4-inch diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 large strawberries, halved lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons homemade or store-bought strawberry sauce
- 1 teaspoon powered sugar
- whipped cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, milk, sugar and salt (if desired) until sugar is dissolved. Mix in small pieces of bread end cuts and fruits. Let sit for 10 minutes until bread is soaked thoroughly. (The mixture may seem wet but that’s what makes the bread pudding extra moist).
Using a pastry, liberally coat the inside of a 3-inch deep baking dish with melted butter. Transfer bread pudding mixture into the dish; level and top with the rest of melted butter.
Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, rotating once, unti l bread pudding is set in the middle and golden brown on top.
Serve warm, garnished with halved strawberries, sauce, powdered sugar and whipped cream.