Asparagus with Turmeric-Spiced Almonds
Turmeric is very high in antioxidants, ranking sixth among all spices and eighth among all foods. Its mildly bitter flavor combines wonderfully with agave and lemon juice. This dish is so hearty and beautiful that it can be served as a main course for lunch with crusty bread and olive oil and some cut-up fruit.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, plus more for pan
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 pound asparagus, tough stems removed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a baking sheet with oil and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the agave, turmeric, salt, and cumin. Add the almonds and stir gently to coat. Spread the almonds on the prepared baking sheet and bake until lightly golden, about 7 minutes. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet set over medium heat. Add the asparagus and cook, stirring frequently, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a serving dish. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and then the almond mixture. Serve.