Garden-fresh eggplants boost flavor in this wonderful side dish.
- 2 large eggplants
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 slices bread, soaked in water and liquid squeezed out
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil
1. Cut each eggplant into fourths. Place in large saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to boiling. Boil about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Finely chop.
2. In large bowl mix together eggplant, Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in bread and eggs. Shape into croquettes.
3. Dip croquettes into flour, coating on all sides and shaking off excess flour.
4. In Dutch oven or skillet with high sides heat oil. Fry croquettes on all sides until golden brown. Serve warm.