Sweet Corn, Heirloom Tomato and Vidalia Onion Salad
The simplicity of this delicious recipe is deceiving--it is fabulous! The secret to its success is to make certain the corn is very fresh and the tomatoes are ripe and luscious.
- 5 ears sweet corn, husks and silks removed
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
1. Working over large bowl, slice corn kernels form cobs. Scrape the cobs with back of a knife to remove as much liquid as possible. Discard cobs.
2. Add tomatoes, onion, oil, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well. Fold in basil. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper (if desired).
Servings: 6 to 8