Spicy Summer Quinoa Salad with Avocado, Tomatillo and Lime
This is a delicious, refreshing salad--perfect for hot summer nights!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups seeded and chopped cucumber
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups seeded and finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped avocado
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh tomatillo
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 servings whole wheat pita bread, warm
1. Place quinoa in bowl. Add enough cold water to cover. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold running water.
2. In medium saucepan bring vegetable broth to boiling. Add quinoa. Season with salt. Return to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and translucent. Drain quinoa. Return quinoa to saucepan. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in bowl place cucumber. Lightly sprinkle with salt. Toss. Let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in onion.
4. In another bowl combine tomatoes, avocado, tomatillo, jalapeño peppers, olive oil, lime juice and vinegar. Stir in cucumber-onion mixture. Add quinoa and cilantro. Toss to combine. Serve with warm pita bread.