Spicy Hana's Red Lentil Salad
This is a spicy and delicious salad for any occasion. If you love Mediterranean cuisine, you'll love this salad.
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Smoked sea salt
- 1/2 cup colorful grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon Mediterranean spice blend
- 1/2 habanero pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1. In medium saucepan combine 3 cups of water, lentils and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat. Drain and cool.
2. Meanwhile, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine olive oil, lemon juice, zest, garlic and enough sea salt to taste. Cover and shake until well blended.
3. In mixing bowl combine lentils, tomatoes, red onion, capers, parsley, Mediterranean spice blend and habanero pepper. Add vinaigrette. Mix well. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Bring to room temperature before serving.