I was introduced to this pie when I was 18. I have since tweeked it for my taste. This pie is equally as good in a regular flakey pie crust. I prefer this crust, which I will eliminate the raisins for my hubby.
- cooking spray of choice
- 6 tablespoons walnuts or pecans
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking oatmeal
- 3/4 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves, melted
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
- 2 10 3/4oz pkgs silken tofu, soft
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
Preheat oven to 400F
1. Spray 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray
2. In food processor, blend nuts and cereals, add raisins continuing to puree to a coarse meal texture.
3. Press into bottom and up sides of pie pan, bake in oven about 9 minutes, just beginning to brown. Remove to cool. Turn oven down to 350F. Brush cooled crust with melted jelly.
4. Combine egg whites, brown sugar, pumpkin, tofu, vanilla and spice in food processor, puree until smooth.
5. Pour into prepared crust and bake in a water bath (fill a shallow pan with 1″ of water and place pie dish into water. Do not let water spill over into pie) at 350F 50 minutes or until set.