Caramel Apple Chai Bars
These were just incredible and got rave reviews from everyone. Perfect anytime of the year, but especially fall! This recipe could be easily adapted to be raw too!
- 1 cup packed dates
- 1 cup raw pecan pieces
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 Tbs coconut (or other) flour
- 2 large apples
- 5 Tbs coconut milk (canned, full fat)
- 1 tsp chai tea (open a chai tea bag)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9X3 loaf pan with parchment paper. In a small bowl combine the dates and enough warm water to cover them; leave and let soak for 20 minutes.
2. Make the crust: In a small food processor or blender pulse the pecan pieces until they form a coarse crumb. Add in the coconut oil, honey, coconut flour and pulse again until combined. Pour the crust mixture into the lined pan; press it down into the bottom of the pan and then bake for 15 minutes.
3. Leave the skin on the apples and slice them into 1/8” thick half-moon slices. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add enough water to just cover the bottom. Place the apple slices in a single layer in the pan and cook/steam them for about 3 minutes per side, until just softened (you will need to do several batches; keep adding more water to you as you need it.) Allow the apples to cool slightly.
4. Drain the water from the dates and place them in the food processor or blender and pulse until broken down; add the coconut milk, chai tea, and cinnamon and blend for several minutes until a smooth paste is formed.
5. To assemble the bars: layer the apples onto the cooked and slightly cooled crust and then lightly press them down. Pour the spiced caramel mixture over the apples and smooth it out. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. To serve, use the parchment paper to lift the bars out and then cut with a sharp knife.