Spicy Black Bean Cakes
Protein powder packs an extra punch in this crispy vegetarian black bean cakes. Dip them in your favorite sauce or eat plain; they’re good either way!
- 1 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight or 2 (15oz) cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6oz of your favorite salsa; the amount varies, just eyeball it and add more towards the end if needed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers (any color); chopped
- 4 cloves garlic; crushed and minced
- 4 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup chia or ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup corn flour
- 3/4 cup unflavored protein powder
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Ground black pepper to taste; no need for salt as there should be enough in the salsa and mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons dried cilantro
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat, sweat onion, bell peppers, and garlic; add beans, cilantro, and spices and cover to let simmer for 20 – 30 minutes.
Remove beans from heat and transfer to large bowl to let cool; you don’t want to cook the eggs!
Using a large fork or potato masher, mash most of the beans leaving a few ones intact for texture.
Add remaining wet ingredients to bowl and mix well. Sift dry ingredients in small bowl and slowly mix into wet.
With a large spoon, scoop the mix onto a parchment lined baking sheet, form into patties or whatever shape you want, and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, and then flip over and cook another 10 minutes.
Remove from oven (should have a crispy brown crust) and let cool on pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
Top each cake with salsa, plain yogurt, cottage cheese, or mustard and any of your favorite toppings. Serve with a big side of steamed veggies.