Kalamata Mousse with Krisp and Krazy Breadsticks
This is a fun and easy vegetarian dip. Once the mousse is made, use a squeeze bottle to squeeze it into tall shot glasses, then place breadsticks in the center of each. You'll need at least one for each guest, because everyone will want to try it!
- 1 3/4 cups warm water (105°F to 115°F)
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (divided)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Coarse salt (optional)
- 1 jar (16 oz.) pitted Kalamata olives, drained
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 ounces plain hummus
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1. Place warm water in mixing bowl of electric mixer with dough hook. Stir in yeast and sugar. Let stand about 10 minutes or until foamy.
2. Add 3 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, the 2 tablespoons parsley, the 1 tablespoon salt and lemon peel to the yeast mixture. Beat on medium speed until combined.
3. Add flour, 1 cup at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition. With mixer running on low speed, gradually add milk and the 2 tablespoons oil. Increase speed to medium. Beat for 6 minutes. Scrape dough from hook and sides of bowl. Let dough rest in bowl for 15 minutes.
4. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough until soft and slightly sticky, adding more flour as needed. Divide dough into 12 to 14 pieces. Let rest for 10 minutes.
5. On lightly floured surface roll each piece of dough into 12-inch-long rope. Shape ropes into shapes (if desired). Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and coated with cooking spray.
6. Brush tops of breadsticks with egg. Sprinkle lightly with coarse salt and the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Lightly spray with water (if desired). Bake at 450°F for 8 to 16 minutes or until brown and crisp. Transfer to wire rack. Cool.
7. For mousse, reserve 5 olives for garnish. In food processor combine remaining olives, cream cheese, hummus, 3 tablespoons parsley, lemon juice, the 1 tablespoon oil, pepper and garlic. Cover and process until smooth. Spoon into squeeze bottle.
8. Chop reserved olives. Squeeze mousse into 2- to 3-ounce glasses. Sprinkle with chopped olives and chives. Serve with breadsticks.
*Note: If desired, substitute crisp Italian breadsticks for the homemade ones.