Recently, ancient grains have experienced a boom in popularity, and for good reason: these original seeds and grains which can often be traced back hundreds or even thousands of years—are much more nutritious than refined grain products such as white flour. Grains and seeds like quinoa, amaranth, flax and hempseed have nutritional properties that are highly beneficial, and they can be prepared easily as well. Not to mention, they also taste great—all reasons why they’ve stood the test of time.
Different Types of Ancient Grains
You can find many of these grains and seeds easily, even in your neighborhood grocery store:
- Quinoa — Able to grow in harsh environments, this super food has exploded in popularity in recent years.
- Amaranth — Amaranth is a complete protein, and contains high levels of important minerals.
- Brown Rice — Brown rice is known to reduce cholesterol and the risk of heart disease.
- Flaxseed — High in omega-3s and fiber, flax has numerous health benefits.
- Hempseed — Hempseed is rich in protein as well as omega fatty acids.
In addition to these nutritive properties, ancient grains and seeds are usually able to be grown with lower levels of pesticides and fertilizers, meaning they’re better for the environment.
Check out the infographic below for more detailed information on these super foods.
Click below to embed this infographic into your website: