*This post originally appeared on WithFoodandLove.com and was sponsored by Pure Organic.
I’m proud to announce that over the next few months I’ll be working with my friends at Pure Organic. Pure Organic uses the highest quality ingredients in all of their products. They are certified organic, gluten free, Non-GMO Project Verified, vegan and kosher. No soy or dairy ingredients are used. Their products are made without junk. Pure Organic is simple and clean.
First up I’m highlighting their organic Fruit & Veggie Strips and organic Layered Fruit Bars in these vegan, gluten free, protein-packed oat breakfast cookies. The Fruit & Veggie Strips and Layered Fruit Bars give the breakfast cookies plenty of natural sweetness, so there’s no need to add sugar. The thing I love most about using Fruit & Veggie Strips and Layered Fruit Bar pieces instead of dried fruit is the amount of flavor they pack and the melty texture they provide.
These oat breakfast cookies totally get me. And for those of you who have followed me for a while know that baking really isn’t my thing. For me to bake something, you know it’s got to be worth my time and energy. These breakfast cookies are so easy and, more important, satisfying. And also freezable! So you can double or triple batch them and freeze them for future busy mornings or afternoon slumps. Right now you find me heading out the door with two cookies and a Fake Coffee cold brew in hand.
Salty Fruity Oat Breakfast Cookies with Cacao Nibs
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Makes: 8 to 12 cookies
If avoiding gluten is a concern, be sure the oats are certified gluten free. Any Pure Organic Fruit & Veggie Strips and Layered Fruit Bars work here, so choose your own flavor adventure. These breakfast cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. This recipe can be doubled or tripled and frozen.
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons filtered water
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt plus more for topping
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 Pure Organic Fruit & Veggie Strips
- 2 Pure Organic Layered Fruit Bars
- 3 teaspoons cacao nibs, divided
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Combine the ground flaxseed with the water in a small bowl and set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl combine the applesauce, chia seeds, salt and cinnamon and stir. Then add the oats and oat flour. Stir again and set aside.
- 4. Cut both the Fruit & Veggie Strips and Layered Fruit Bars into small pieces (about the size of a pencil eraser). Fold the strip and bar pieces with 2 teaspoons cacao nibs and the flax mixture into the cookie batter.
- 5. Roll the cookie batter into either 8 or 12 balls. Arrange them on the baking sheet and press lightly with your fingertips to make a round disk. Sprinkle on the remaining 1 teaspoon cacao nibs and a sprinkle of salt.
- 6. Bake for 15 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and cool.
- Sherrie Castellano