Do your body care habits match your eating and eco-living habits? This is a question I asked myself recently. It’s one thing to buy organic food, switch to low watt light bulbs and compost. It’s quite another to change up our hair and skin routine. Most of us are comfortably committed to shampoos, lotions and makeup that we know work for us, eco-friendly or not, and it’s a little scary to deviate from that!
I’ve decided to treat my body care products like I do my food. I read the labels and look for ingredients I recognize. Luckily the natural and organic body care products on the market are better than ever.
One of my favorite lotions is from a small, organic company called La Natura. Some larger companies like Avalon Organics also make great products. I started small, by switching my body lotion, and expanded from there.
Below are some additional ways to become more conscious with your body care products. And remember, the best (and most eco-friendly) way to be beautiful is to smile!
Conscious Body Care Tips
- Stop using disposable razors. I bought reusable razors for my family, and we buy replacement heads on eBay for significantly less than you’d pay at a drug store.
- Make your own lip balm and hand salve by combining 1.5 parts melted beeswax, 1 part olive oil and a few drops of an essential oil of your choice.
- Switch to eco-friendly nail polish.
- Recycle all of your beauty product packaging.
- Watch out for the “Dirty Dozen Beauty Ingredients”.