When it comes to beauty, making decisions about products based on their ingredients and processing is important. It’s a great example of what I call Mindful Consumption (one of the Seven Outposts of a Slow Beauty practice). There are many ways to practice a more eco-friendly beauty regimen – here are some of my favorites to get you started.
- MSCHIC blush in “kissed” (in the woodblock case) www.mschic.com
This mineral makeup series is talcum-free and contains no allergenic fragrances. This blush is also paraben free. According to the company’s philosophy statement, they dance at the office when they are excited about new products – good vibes are great for everyone! I discovered this make-up line at an adorable boutique called The Detox Market, specializing in curating green brands in beauty and lifestyle. The co-founder, Valerie Grandury, walked me around the shop and shared each brand’s endearing story with me. That leads me to another skincare brand I love also founded by Valerie Grandury, Odacité. Their products contain certified organic ingredients, and are free of petrochemicals, fragrance, glycols and parabens. Valerie is lovely and incredibly passionate about holistic living – using her products makes me feel confident inside and out.
- SpaRitual Nail Lacquer –in color Introspective from the upcoming spring 2013 SpaRitual collection, Meditate. For a fun nail look, I like to wear Introspective on all nails, sometimes pairing it with another color from the collection on my ring finger for an accent.
- SpaRitual Lip Gloss. The first ever gluten-free lip gloss is finally here – four shades that are also vegan, to be released this spring.
- SpaRitual Handprint Hand Salve and Hand Serum. Skincare for the hands is so important!
- Jane Iredale MakeUp. I’m a huge fan – I love the Mystikol powdered eyeliner in Onyx and PurePressed Eye Shadow Triple Azure. An added benefit is that it’s all vegan.
- Teas are an important part of my beauty ritual, too. Yogi Teas Green Tea Muscle Recovery supports an active body, is 100% natural, and made with Organic turmeric. This is the perfect tea to relieve sore muscles after exercise, and I love being surprised by the fortunes on each tea bag!
For more on Shel Pink or the SpaRitual brand, visit www.sparitual.com or www.slowbeauty.com
* * *
Shel Pink, Lifestyle Futurist, SpaRitual , and SlowBeauty.com Founder
Shel captured the attention of the spa industry when she founded SpaRitual in 2004, launching a brand that fuses the mind, body, and spirit connection with healing spa traditions. Keeping in mind the ideals of conscious beauty and sustainability issues, Shel has led the brand developing a collection of eco-friendly products. All SpaRitual body products are vegan, made of natural formulations and never use synthetic dyes or parabens. SpaRitual Manicure & Pedicure Essentials are also free of toluene, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin and DBP. The vegan Nail Lacquer Collection is also vegan and is 5-free, meaning that they don’t include camphor. Today, Shel sees the green movement transitioning towards a discussion of slow ideals in direct response to a lifestyle that has become too fast. Decades before a holistic lifestyle became mainstream, an organic diet, the importance of regular massage, alternative healing, and minimizing exposure to toxins in the environment were emphasized by Shel’s mother. Continuing on this holistic path, Shel discovered yoga, meditation and Ayurveda while attending college and maintains the practice to this day. Shel’s previous professional endeavors included a stint at Motown Records, photography art director, co-founder of the clothing brand LOBA and Orly executive. Shel also lends her time to the Bicycle Artist – a project that is close to her heart, which is a creative troupe that connects families as students with enriching, holistic, and creative experiences.